08 April 2012

A CLEAN Tub and Shower!


Tub/Shower Scrub

1 cup of baking soda
½ cup castile soap
10 drops of lemon essential oil
5 drops of tea tree essential oil
5 drops of peppermint essential oil (or lavender, grapefruit, etc.)
2 Tablespoons of distilled white vinegar

Mix baking soda, castile soap, and essential oils in an old washed out jam jar.  Add vinegar and watch it fizz! After the fun fizzing settles down, mix the whole thing up more.  The consistency should be that of frosting.  If it’s too runny, add a bit of baking soda, if it’s too thick, add a bit more vinegar.  I find tea tree oil to be an excellent antibacterial, but a strong smelling one- mixing with other antibacterial essential oils helps to balance the smell.

To use: moisten a wash cloth or sponge. Scoop out some paste and mush it about your cloth or sponge. Scrub, scrub, scrub!  Rinse with water when done scrubbing.  For tougher shower/tub jobs: use more paste and slather it directly to your shower or tub surface.  I like to wear rubber gloves for major cleaning, so for this step, I forego the washcloth and just use my gloved hand to rub the paste about.  Leave on the surface for a few minutes (longer the grimier your surface is) and then scrub about using a long handled brush.  Wipe off with a wet sponge/cloth and rinse clean with more water.


Background:

“Scrubbing Bubbles,” works great!  But, it stinks.  It stinks for the environment and literally, its smell is so over powering that it gives me heartburn, makes my eyes water, and leaves me light headed.  Many friends and family members feel similarly about “Scrubbing Bubbles”…  My sister-in-law warned me many years ago that commercial household cleaners could cause cancer, and I wouldn’t be one bit surprised if this one topped the list!

“Scrubbing Bubbles” was one of the harder household cleaners for me to give up/replace.  It just works so well, and takes so little effort to get the job done.  Spray, leave, scrub a bit with a long handled brush, and then rinse “away.”  But the truth is, I was cleaning my tubs and showers rarely at best.  I felt guilty for using the harsh chemical and the heartburn and light headedness certainly didn’t help motivate me to clean the tubs and showers either.  Eventually, I realized that I was being dumb, and just needed to bite the bullet, add a little more elbow grease, and clean the tubs and showers with a less toxic substance.  I could even let myself out of running, thinking the “extra elbow grease” was a suitable exercise substitute…

Anyways, I figured I might as well go “all the way” and experiment with homemade cleaners until I found one that would clean, disinfect, and spare my body and our environment any negative side effects.  I was surprised to find, how “easy” it was to find a decently effective recipe!  The hard part, for me, was to understand the role of essential oils and how to put them to the best antibacterial use.  Most recipes I found online called for more essential oil than my nose/stomach could handle.  I found myself feeling just as ill from the smell of essential oils as I did from the chemically smell of “Scrubbing Bubbles”... that was NO GOOD.

After many days of research, I came to the personal conclusion, that baking soda and vinegar alone was more than enough to get my tubs and showers clean.  I almost stopped there, but a nagging feeling in the back of my head at the height of flu season this year, made me keep at it to find a reasonable way to boost my cleaners’ disinfecting and antibacterial power.  Turns out, there is a lot of conclusive evidence that certain essential oils are antibacterial/viral powerhouses but not a lot of conclusive evidence to show how much essential oil you actually need to get the job done.  Grrrr…  One reference I found claimed that once you get to less than 4% essential oil (tea tree was the example), you no longer have enough power to kill bacteria.  Two other sources claimed that at lower than .25% concentration, you may not have enough power to kill bacteria… Worse, you can actually help bacteria grow resistant to the essential oil if you don’t use enough- UGH!

So, I’ve recently come to another personal conclusion: add just enough essential oil to reach just over .25% of the total volume.  Also, mix my essential oils to strike an olfactory balance that leaves me with a tolerable smell while in a small bathroom cleaning with the door shut.  Most of the resources I’ve read written by “experts” in essential oils, homeopaths, and even a dialogue with an herbologist friend seemed to feel that letting your nose be your guide was sufficient.  You should be able to smell the essential oil, but not so strongly that if you leave the room, you still smell it or feel it lingers in your nose.  I’m happy with this.  My research has taught me that well over 90% of germs are gone with just a good scrub/wipe down with vinegar and water, so anything else added to boost germ fighting power is bonus.  Plus, Vidal helped out with the whole math part about the .25% and I was able to figure out how to apply this new “rule” to all my cleaning recipes as well- PHEW!


Additional notes:

Math hurts, and often leaves me in tears (seriously).  Also, every time I ask Vidal for math help, I end up with hours of math tutoring…  So you can rest assured that I must REALLY want to get the whole antibacterial fighting power via essential oils right to do a bunch of math and enlist my husband’s help with it.  If you want to read how I got around to this math, you will have to convince my husband to tell you.

My “herbologist friend” happens to be the awesome Papa of one of my college roomies J  He also happens to be a super cool artist who’s ever evolving work celebrates the Earth by using only sustainable methods and materials!  Check him out at: http://www.gregpatchart.com, http://www.gregpatch.blogspot.com, and http://www.greenartstudio.com

To read more about the effectiveness of tea tree oil as a germ fighting heavyweight, and other essential oils, visit:




http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/03/100330210942.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment