02 October 2012

Fall is for APPLES!


Apple Crumb Pie

9-inch pastry shell, unbaked, chilled
1 cup sifted flour
½ cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1/8 teaspoon of salt
½ cup soft butter
6 cups peeled, sliced and diced apples (I like Jonagold)
1 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Juice of a small lemon

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

In a large glass bowl, mix sliced and diced apples, sugar, juice of a lemon, and cinnamon gently so that apple pieces are fully coated. Pile the apple mixture into your chilled pie crust.

To your food processor: add flour, brown sugar, salt, and butter.  Blend until crumbly and well mixed.  Sprinkle crumb topping over your apples being sure to cover them all with an even layer.

Place pie dish on a cookie sheet and bake in oven for 50 minutes.

ENJOY!



Background:
Did you know that Fall is my FAVORITE season of the year?  Hee hee!

So, Joaquin was off school the other day and I decided to take the kids (just me with the kids) to a mountain about an hour away to go apple picking!  I was a tad nervous at the thought of A: going as the only adult, and B: Driving so far, up a STEEP mountain, spending the day traipsing about carrying heavy bags of apples, and then… returning home safely!  

We made it  and actually had a lot of fun, hitching on to another group’s field trip to attend “apple school” and then picking apples and enjoying a picnic together.  We also made a few friends along the way, so that worked out!

Since our muscle power was limited this year, we stuck to just picking enough Jonagold apples to fill about a bag and a half- about all I could carry on my own.  Our haul was plenty to feed us one yummy dinner in a skillet with apples, cabbage, and sausages as well as two apple pies and plenty of snacking on slices.  

The highlight of our trip, for me at least, is that I finally made an apple pie that was not only edible, but yummy!  In fact, Vidal told me that it was “very good actually” and the best he has tasted (out of my oven) yet.  Success, I'd say!  You see, desserts aren't exactly my strong suit.  I love to eat them, I'm just not so great at making them.  So, if baking and desserts intimidate you too, have no fear!  If I can make it successfully, so can you!


  
Additional Notes:

The first time I made this pie, I used a store bought crust for the bottom.  The second time, I used a “pat-in-the pan” recipe from my trusty Joy of Cooking cookbook. 

I also forgot the fresh squeezed lemon juice the second time round…  Both pies ended up being tasty, although I did miss the lemon juice finding the second pie to be sweeter.



No comments:

Post a Comment