19 October 2012

When the Hubby is Away...


Portobello Mushroom Pasta

6ish oz Portobello caps, sliced and diced (bite size)
One medium onion, sliced and diced
3-4 cloves garlic, minced
Salt
Pepper
Olive oil
Parmesan and Asiago cheeses
Pasta of choice

Boil pasta of choice to al dente, drain, and set aside.

Heat olive oil in a sauté pan or cast iron fry pan (I used a cast iron fry pan).  Add a few drizzles of olive oil.  After oil has heated a bit, add onion and garlic.  Sprinkle salt and pepper to taste, and stir about.  When onion is just beginning to turn translucent, add the Portobello mushrooms.  Mix in the pan, and cook on medium flame/heat for 10 or so minutes stirring occasionally.  Taste, and adjust seasonings as necessary.

To serve: serve pasta on a dish.  Sprinkle with grated/shaved parmesan cheese then scoop mushroom mixture on top.  Lastly, sprinkle top of plate with grated/shaved asiago cheese.  Enjoy!


Background:
I love eating vegetarian and NOT having to worry about “where the meat is!”  So, when I know that the main meat eater (husband) in the family will not be home for dinner, I take advantage.  This particular dinner was “invented” on the fly because I had some leftover brown rice penne pasta and random Portobello mushrooms in the fridge…  I knew I needed to use the mushrooms up soon and I couldn't remember why I had originally bought them, so, I “invented!”

The two big veggie lovers in my family (Joaquin and I) just gobbled this dinner up.  It was just so simple, and tasty in a comfort-food kind of way!  My daughter ate a bit of it and then asked for a slice of ham, ha ha!  We will keep working on developing her love for veggies…


Additional Notes:

I know that eating less/no meat can be challenging.  Portobello mushrooms make an excellent substitute for meats in many recipes because their texture is “meaty” and their flavor is hearty.  Also, they do a great job of absorbing the flavors you add to a dish, making them extra versatile.  Let us not forget that they do have protein, are low in calories, and low in fat!

Fall is a great time of year to get mushrooms such as Portobello mushrooms at a good price.  I am just learning this!  Mushrooms like cooler weather such as we enjoy in spring and throughout the fall.  I guess that is why they are abundant at our local farmer’s market these days, and super cheap at the grocery store.  The organic mushrooms used in this meal cost $1.29 (for 6 oz), no joke!  Maybe that’s why they were in my fridge, for “no apparent reason…”

Portobello Mushrooms are GOOD FOR YOU!  Check out the links below to learn more.



No comments:

Post a Comment