29 January 2013

DIY Foaming Hand Soap


Couldn't be Easier- Foaming Hand Soap

2-4 teaspoons Liquid Castile Soap
Essential Oils (Optional)
Empty foaming hand soap dispenser (9-10 oz)
Water


Pour 2-4 teaspoons of your favorite liquid castile soap into the foaming hand soap dispenser you’ve just finished using.  I like to use Dr. Bonner’s Unscented Baby Mild liquid castile soap as it is the most versatile to have “on hand” in the house.

Add a few (about 6) drops of your favorite anti-bacterial essential oil(s).  Tea tree and Lavender oils tend to be my favorites to use, however consider a citrus like grapefruit or lemon in the kitchen!

Fill the rest of the bottle dispenser up with tap water, replace the dispenser’s top, and shake about.  Use as you did before!  It is best to experiment with how many teaspoons of castile soap you like.  My husband, for example, prefers 5 teaspoons!  Apparently he likes a good looong lasting lather.



Background:
I have youngsters.  They seem to LOVE using lots of soap when they wash their hands.  I LOVE that I spend so little effort and money keeping their hands clean!



Additional Notes:

The most difficult part of this recipe is the foaming hand soap dispenser.  If you don’t already have one, it is cheaper to purchase one that is already filled with hand soap and wait until you’ve used up what it came with than to find and purchase a fancy (empty) foaming dispenser.

In the photo above, you see I used a “Method” dispenser.  My kitchen and other baths sport a “J.R. Watkins” bottle that is 9 FL. OZ. and I still use 2 teaspoons of liquid castile soap.  Our “Jack and Jill” bathroom is a different story.  I purchased the largest dispensers I could find/tolerate for the kids’ sinks!  They have 18 FL. OZ, “Everyday Shea” bottles, and I double the liquid castile soap and essential oil amounts. 

I spent less than $5 on each hand soap dispenser- the oldest, over a year old, still looks and works like new!

I find that the dispensers by sinks that get less traffic (like the guest bath) do settle a bit.  So, whenever I notice it, I just shake the dispenser up a bit.  

No comments:

Post a Comment