12 March 2013

DIY Wall Art!


Do It Yourself “art” for Your Walls

Stretched Canvas (you can purchase at any craft store.  I got a “value pack” of 5)

Assorted flat craft bushes (see photo below, they don’t have to be fancy/expensive)

Leftover paint from rooms in your house (or any paints you love, really)

Lids from your pots and pans

Pencil

Wine and good tunes (optional)!

Start by visualizing some circles on your canvas.  Consider having some of the circles go off the canvas and/or have some circles overlap.  Then, using your differently shaped lids, trace some circles onto your canvas with a pencil.  Feel free to erase and re-trace until you find something you like.


Starting with your lightest colors, paint your circles!  Paint the background last making sure to paint the sides of the canvas as well if you plan to hang it without a frame.

                                

Let it dry overnight.  Hang your art and enjoy!




Background:

We’ve lived in our home almost a year now, and most the walls are still bare.  We have, however, painted most of the first floor, so, progress!  Our home features an open floor plan, the kind where you can see into multiple rooms from just about any point of view on the first floor.  This made choosing wall colors a bit of a challenge, however I think my husband and I are happy with the palate of colors we have now chosen for most of the house.  We started with my favorite room(s) in the house- the kitchen and solarium (morning room, really).  I painted it my favorite shade of green, you know the color that I originally envisioned for the kitchen in our first house- the one that ended up looking the color of lime green sherbet- yep.  Anyways, after painting the mudroom, kitchen, and solarium of our current house twice-yes twice- I finally achieved the right shade of green!  And truth be told, I LOVE it every time of day- YAY!  So, I digress… like I said, we have an open floor plan on the first floor and I felt I needed to tie our differently colored rooms together and have been searching for ways to do so for quite some time.

Somehow, after having fun on pinterest and completing a project to decorate a wall in the downstairs half bath, I found myself with some leftover paint that I just loved against my favorite shade of green, and an unsatisfied desire to create more…

Then it occurred to me!  Why not use leftover paint from the other rooms in the house to create something for my solarium wall?  I thought, what better way to tie all the rooms together?!  Yes, I’m a literal kind of girl.  I’m also a romantic.  I LOVE to cook in my kitchen because I love to create, I love to spoil people, I love the idea of nourishing my family using my own hands (and heart), and I believe that gathering around a table to eat a home cooked, locally sourced, seasonal, and nutritious meal builds lasting familial bonds, nourishes our bodies and souls, and creates and supports community within my home and all around.  I told you I was a romantic!  Anyways, I sort of digressed again; I just wanted to share with you why the lids to my pots and pans were so important.  I also love my pots and pans (Al Clad), by the way.  Nothing like the best tools to do what you love!


5 comments:

  1. This DIY wall art idea is awesome and quite easy for making. Color selection is really good. Great work you have, i want to say thanks for sharing this interesting post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU, James, for your comment! Made my day. Circles, do take some time to paint, but yes, in general it was a very easy project, and I smile every time my eye happens to pass by that wall now- so totally worth it. :-)

      Delete
  2. Excellent work you have done, this wall art have beautiful look, i just want to say thanks for sharing his great project.

    http://canvasdesign.webstarts.com/create_magical_prints_using_canvases.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete